Want to Make Smarter Money Moves?
- Mistplay: Earning money by playing games on your phone sounds like a dream. But this app really pays you playing new games with cash rewards. Download Mistplay for Free (android only)
- SurveyJunkie: Is known as the #1 paid survey site. Take paid surveys anytime and anywhere via PC, Laptop, Tablet, or Cell Phone. Join SurveyJunkie Now
- Swagbucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Join Swagbucks Now to Get $5 Free
- Dosh and Rakuten: Start earning cash back every time you shop with these two apps; Dosh offers a $5 Signup Bonus (after linking a card) and Rakuten offers a $10 Signup Bonus
Been meaning to remodel your home for some time now? Consider looking at our 7 home remodeling tips so you can stay within budget.
Budgeting for home rebuilding has been a major downfall among property owners. They tend to go on building house decks and others without plans and result in spending all their money even on unnecessary renovations. They also don't keep in mind the ROI has on their investment. Your return on investment is largely based on what your house is worth. (You wouldn’t want to install a $50,000 kitchen in a $200,000 home).
So, if you are planning to start a home renovation project soon, be sure to take note of the following budgeting procedures so you know how to renovate a house on a budget.
#1: Clean up
Before you make any changes to your house make sure you put furniture and items away (and things are clean). Once the area you are renovating is clear of clutter, you can get a better sense of the space. This will greatly improve the renovation process.
#2: Demolish by yourself
Yes, you can save yourself some considerable money by demolishing yourself (or if you have a friend around, them too). Doing the demo yourself can be tricky though, and is only advisable for the exterior of your home, like a deck.
When dealing with the interior of your home, consult a professional or contractor to do the job.
Apply for a New Credit Card
|Blue Cash Everyday® Card|
Earn $250 Back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
#3: Talk to a Realtor
Usually, the concept of rebuilding is applied to repairing several house areas which are damaged by calamities or old age. Nevertheless, some homeowners are after increasing property value. Increased property value will improve their asset profile or sell it at higher prices in the future.
If you have this goal, consult a real estate expert about the best home elements that boost its value and build them in the future.
#4: Inspect for Parts to Rebuild
Blind rebuilding or renovation is a homeowner’s pitfall that draws in heavy expenses. The excitement of this project causes them to reconstruct other parts of the house even if they don’t find them necessary. Before setting up your budget, be sure to look for house areas that need rebuilding to avoid excessive spending.
After inspection, it is time for you to start allotting your budget.
#5: Your Funds for Rebuilding
After knowing the right elements to build, you can start budgeting your funds to begin your project. First, know the total amount of the project which is comprised of materials, equipment, and labor if you will hire a builder to do the job for you. In addition to the main construction price, ask for the prices of miscellaneous expenses like building permits, software required, and cleaning up the construction site.
When it comes to saving money on home renovations, there are some smart ways to go about this:
- When you can do it yourself, go this route. As previously mentioned, if you can demo yourself, do it, if you can paint the walls, grab a paint brush. If you need the help of a contractor, don't be afraid to spend on your greatest investment (your home).
- Stay creative. Have an old doorknob? Polish it up, or spray paint it to keep it fresh. Try and find ways to save every penny, because renovations costs can add up.
- Check the ROI. While you can't measure the cost of your happiness, you can see what improvements may have of the value of your home. Building an extra bathroom? Your home value can increase is value, that's a good investment.
- Plan for home improvement expenses. Don't be afraid to seek a personal loan if it's a worthwhile investment that can add to the value of your home and everyday happiness.
#6: Consider Your Funds
Check your savings at hand and see if the amount is sufficient for your project. In most cases, property owners don’t have enough funds to spend on the rebuilding procedures and they get loans from lending companies.
Several secured loans are offered for individuals using the funds for this purpose. Lenders offer them with fewer documents and with some without collateral that offers value for clients. You can cover the costs with smart lenders that don't charge outrageous interest rates such as Upstart and SoFi. These lenders actually offer personal loans for home improvement renovations, so start there or you can check our recommended lenders here.
#7: Cutting Down Your Expenses
Many people say that if you want things done perfectly, hire a professional to do the job. However, their expertise will cost you a significant amount of fees. You can, however, cut down your expenses by asking for their offered deals. For instance, some companies extend cheaper labor rates if you will get the materials from their company. In addition, you can also compare different builders’ rates to ensure savings.
Budgeting home rebuilding projects is a systematic process and you need to follow them accordingly to get utmost savings. These steps are simple, but it takes time to accomplish every task that saves you money. Keep these points in mind and you will have a flawless project that beautifies your home.
Latest posts by Finance Blog Staff (see all)
- Best Online Savings Accounts (Including APYs) – September 2019 - September 10, 2019
- Which Should I Hire—Employee or Contract Worker? - August 28, 2019
- How to Check Your Credit Score for Free - August 25, 2019
Did this article teach you something new?
Ⓘ Related Tools:
|Company||What You Need||Earning Potential|
|$500 to Invest in Real Estate||8.7 – 12.4% Annual Returns|
|Smartphone||Up to $50 Per Survey|
|Be a Dog-Lover (or cat!)||$250 Per Week|
|Vehicle||$60 Per Day|
|Apartment or House||$650 Per Week|
Powered by My Millennial Guide